Call for comment on nominees to serve on the Western Cape Gambling and Racing Board
I, David Savage, Head of the Western Cape Provincial Treasury, in terms of regulation 3(1) of the Western Cape Gambling and Racing Regulations, 1996, invite nominations of candidates for appointment as members of the Western Cape Gambling and Racing Board (the Board).
1. The Board is an independent statutory body established in terms of the Western Cape Gambling and Racing Act, 1996 (Act 4 of 1996) (the Act), and its main object is to control all gambling, racing and activities incidental thereto in the province of the Western Cape (the Province).
2. Functions of the Board include to consider and dispose of applications for licences, collect relevant taxes, levies, duties, fees and penalties and conduct ongoing research on gambling and racing.
3. The responsibilities of Board members include attending monthly Board meetings, conducting site visits, conducting assessments and participating in the activities of committees to which they have been appointed.
4. In terms of section 4 of the Act, in order to be eligible for appointment as a member of the Board, a person shall—
(a) be a natural person;
(b) have attained the age of twenty-five years;
(c) be a citizen of the Republic of South Africa (the Republic) and ordinarily resident in the Province;
(d) be a fit and proper person whose character, integrity, honesty, prior conduct, regard for the law, reputation, habits and associations do not pose a threat to the health, safety, morals, good order and general welfare of the inhabitants of the Province and to the provisions and policy of the Act;
(e) be of good financial standing; and
(f) not be disqualified under section 5 of the Act.
5. In terms of section 5 of the Act, the following persons are disqualified from being appointed as a member of the Board:
(a) anyone who has at any time been convicted of an offence in terms of the Act or any similar law;
(b) anyone who at any time, whether in the Republic or elsewhere, has been convicted of theft, fraud, forgery, the uttering of a forged document, perjury or any offence under the Corruption Act, 1992 (Act 94 of 1992), or any offence of which dishonesty is an element;
(c) an unrehabilitated insolvent or anyone subject to any legal disability;
(d) anyone who has at any time been removed from any office of trust on account of misconduct or dishonesty;
(e) any political office bearer; and
(f) anyone who, whether personally or through his or her spouse, family member, partner or associate—
(i) has or acquires a direct or an indirect financial interest in any gambling business or establishment; or
(ii) has any interest in any business or enterprise that may conflict or interfere with the proper performance of his or her duties as a member of the Board or in any licence issued under the Act.
6. A member of the Board must have appropriate knowledge or experience, including in any of the following fields:
social or community welfare, finance, economics, accounting, auditing, law or business.
7. A member of the Board is appointed on a part-time basis, and holds office for such period, not exceeding four years, as the Provincial Cabinet may determine at the time of his or her appointment and is eligible for reappointment at the termination of his or her term of office.
8. Eligible nominations must be submitted in writing on or before 16:00 on 14 November 2022 by—
(a) posting it to:
The Accounting Officer Provincial Treasury Private Bag X9165
Cape Town 8000;
(b) emailing it to:
(c) faxing it to:
Fax no 021 483 4337; or
(d) delivering it to:
The Accounting Officer: Provincial Treasury
3rd Floor, Room W3-07
Provincial Legislature Building
15 Wale Street
and marking it for the attention of Ms Claire Horton.
9. Nominations must include the name, address, telephone number and curriculum vitae of the nominee.
10. The Board intends to achieve representativity among its members, and preference will therefore be given to designated groups, especially female candidates and people with disabilities.
11. Enquiries can be directed to Ms Claire Horton, tel 021 483 6037. Signed at Cape Town on this 18th day of October 2022.
HEAD OF THE WESTERN CAPE PROVINCIAL TREASURY
To download the nomination PDF advert click to the link below: