Meet our Minister
Mireille Wenger : Provincial Minister of Finance and Economic Opportunities in the Western Cape
- Mireille is the Provincial Minister of Finance and Economic Opportunities in the Western Cape, serving as the executive authority for the Department of Economic Development and Tourism, and the Provincial Treasury.
- Mireille has served as the Chief Whip of the Majority Party in the Western Cape Provincial Parliament, and chaired the Ad Hoc Committee on COVID-19, the Programme Authority, and the Parliamentary Oversight Committee.
- She has also previously served as the Chairperson for the Community Safety Committee, the Conduct Committee, and has been a member of the Budget Committee for 8 years.
- This extensive experience on a variety of portfolios has enabled Mireille to develop a deep understanding of the policy challenges that the Western Cape and South Africa face.
- Her experience as Chair of the COVID-19 Ad Hoc Committee, in particular, positions Mireille well to lead the post-pandemic economic recovery.
- A champion of innovation at the Provincial Parliament, Mireille is passionate about economic growth and job creation. She believes in inspiring fresh, new ideas, and building partnerships with the private sector, and other levels of government, to get the job done.
- Mireille has a Master of Arts degree in International Relations from the University of Stellenbosch, and a Master of Philosophy in Criminology, Law and Society from the University of Cape Town. She has also completed the Programme in Political Science and Sociology at Sciences Po (L'Institut d'études politiques de Paris) in France.
- Mireille lives in Cape Town, with her husband, Craig, and her son, Gabriel.