The Western Cape Provincial Treasury plays a major role in achieving the desired socio-economic and governance outcomes of the Western Cape by providing strategic financial leadership to the Western Cape Government provincial department, its public entities and municipalities.
Our mandate is to control and oversee the finances of the Western Cape government. Giving efficient supporting and sustainable public financial management to promote economic development, good governance, social progress and a rising standard of the Western Cape’s people.
- The Provincial Treasury fulfil the following functions:
- Prepare and exercise control over the implementation of the provincial budget;
- Promote and enforce transparency and effective management in respect of revenue, expenditure, assets and liabilities of provincial departments and provincial public entities;
- Ensure that its fiscal policies do not materially and unreasonably prejudice national economic policies;
- Enforce the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA) and any prescribed national and provincial norms and standards;
- Comply with the annual Division of Revenue Act and monitor and assess the implementation of that act in provincial public entities;
- Assist in building capacities for efficient, effective and transparent financial management;
- Investigate any system of financial management and internal control;
- Intervene by taking appropriate steps to address a serious or persistent material breach of this act; and
- Promptly provide any information required by the National Treasury in terms of this act.
Good financial governance.
To improve governance through:
- Enhance accountability and oversight;
- Creating public value;
- Enabling delivery of quality services through partnerships; and
- Capacity building in the public sector finance.
The Provincial Treasury, the Department of the Premier and Department of Local Government and Department of Environmental Affairs and Development Planning collectively contribute to the Provincial Strategic Goal which is to embed good governance and integrated service delivery through partnerships and spatial alignment.