Additional allocations to provinces, like the Western Cape, welcomed
23 February 2022
We welcome the fact that, after being forced to absorb huge budget cuts, additional allocations have now been made to provinces like the Western Cape.
- R24.6 billion for education, to deal with the shortages of teachers as well as materials;
- R15.6 billion for health, to deal with the effect of budget reductions and the impact of Covid-19;
- R12.7 billion for education, to deal with shortages of teaching assistants;
- R988 million for social welfare, to deal with grants and ensure they keep pace with inflation;
- R3.3 billion for health, to deal with the placement of medical interns and community services doctors; and
- R1 billion for health, to deal with the rollout of Covid-19 vaccines.
Which will go a long way to support provinces absorb huge spending pressures, especially in education, health and social development in provinces like the Western Cape.
Spokesperson for the Provincial Minister of Finance and Economic Opportunities
(Responsible for the Provincial Treasury and the Department of Economic Development and Tourism)
Cell: 076 423 7541