The Directorate Spatial Planning, provides advice and support to the public, municipalities, organs of state and the private sector on Spatial Planning and Land Use Management matters.
Spatial Planning is a strategic process that seeks to organise how the economy, society, and the built environment operate in space, whilst also seeking to ensure the protection, restoration and management of the natural environment, underpinned by evidence-based and normative town and regional planning approaches.
Spatial Planning seeks to:
- ensure that long-term forward-planning is carried out at a municipal, regional and provincial scale;
- drive the national and provincial spatial transformation and policy agenda as it relates to the spatial organisation of activities;
- develop and implement guidelines and tools to ensure spatial transformation;
- develop Spatial Development Frameworks (SDF) that have the desired effect on spatial targeting, spatial alignment and priority spending; and
- ensure that the spatial priorities identified in the SDFs are reflected in Integrated Development Plans (IDP’s).
- Develop spatial planning policies, guidelines, manuals and practice notes to guide the public, municipalities, provincial departments and organs of state in undertaking spatial planning and land use management in the Western Cape;
- Assist, support and monitor municipalities in developing and implementing their Spatial Development Framework’s or any spatial planning policy documents;
- Ensure that the quality and relevance of spatial planning and land use management in the Province is strongly rooted in an evidence-based, planning-led, infrastructure enabling approach;
- Assist with provincial and municipal spatial policy formulation, implementation and monitoring, as well as mainstreaming spatial planning in all sector planning initiatives in the province;
- Lead the development and review of provincial, regional and theme-specific spatial plans;
- Assist with the administration and implementation of spatial planning in terms of SPLUMA, LUPA and municipal planning bylaws;
- Assist with monitoring, evaluating and reporting on the performance of municipalities in the execution of their municipal spatial planning function;
- Provide spatial planning comment and input on land use, development and environmental applications.;
- Implementation and mainstream the Provincial Spatial Development Framework;
- Engage with the national sphere of government as it pertains to national spatial planning initiatives; and
- Assist municipalities in their growth management and scenario planning.
PROVINCIAL SPATIAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK (PSDF)
POSTERS FOR IMPLEMENTATION OF PSDF
1. Greater Cape Metro Regional Spatial Implementation Framework (GCM RSIF)
2. Greater Saldanha Regional Spatial Implementation Framework
3. Garden Route Regional Spatial Implementation Framework (GR RSIF)
All PSDF GIS Data (Provincial Spatial Plan) can be accessed via our GIS page here.
Should you require more detailed information on any of the documents above, please don't hesitate to contact the directorate on the contact details below.
The following documents have been superseded, if you like to access them please do not hesitate to contact the Directorate:
- 2009 PSDF
- Guidelines for Golf Courses, Golf Estates, Polo Fields and Polo Estates
- in the Western Cape, 2005
- Guidelines for Resort Developments in the Western Cape, 2005
- Draft Western Cape PSDF Rural Land Use Planning and Management
- Guidelines, 2009
- Provincial Urban Edge Guideline, 2005
- Western Cape PSDF Settlement Restructuring: An Explanatory Manual, 2009
Director: Catherine Stone Email: Catherine.Stone@westerncape.gov.za
Tel. 021 483 4796
Marek Kedzieja (Region 1 – Cape Town / West Coast)
Tel. 021 483 4525
Tania De Waal (Region 2 – Cape Winelands / Overberg)
Tel. 021 483 4360
Allan Rhodes (Region 3 – Garden Route / Central Karoo)
Tel. 021 483 0764