The Oxford Dictionary defines “facilitate” as “to make an action or a process possible or easier”.
Our main aim is therefore to facilitate environmental and planning processes to bring about sustainable development. In this regard, we work:
- horizontally within the Environmental and Development Planning Department and across all Provincial Departments
- vertically across spheres of Government
- inward looking -focussing on government- and outward looking –focussing on the public
Our approach is to:
- build strong partnerships (internal & external)
- collaborate horizontally and vertically
- support, empower and add value
- be solutions-and-impact-focussed
- continue to learn and improve
A) Development Facilitation and Land Assembly
- Facilitating cooperation and coordination between organs of state from a land assembly perspective.
- Providing planning and environmental impact management advisory services to organs of state.
- Providing support, advice and guidance to the Western Cape Government and Local Municipalities relating to land assembly processes, including site selection and site screening from a planning and environmental perspective.
- Facilitating the resolution of land use management and environmental impact management related conflict.
- Assisting selected private sector initiatives with screening, scheduling and facilitation of their sustainable development projects within the Western Cape.
- Coordination of specific comments relating to environmental impact assessment processes.
B) Capacity Building
- Coordinating DEA&DP’s internal and external environmental and planning capacity building activities.
- Facilitating internal capacity building programmes.
C) Municipal Support
Coordinating DEA&DPs involvement in the Municipal Integrated Development Planning (IDP) and Local Government Medium Term Expenditure Committee (LGMTEC) processes through:
- Mainstreaming of development and environmental planning intelligence into Municipal IDPs, SDFs, Sector Plan and Budgets.
- Coordinating DEA&DP involvement in the assessment of Municipal IDPs, SDFs, Sector Plan and Budgets.
- Coordinating input and participating in engagements with District and Local Municipalities.
- Coordinating municipal support plans.
D) RSEP / VPUU
- Coordinating and managing the planning and implementation of regional and/or sector-based development planning initiatives (e.g. Regional Socio-Economic Project (RSEP) and the Violence Prevention through Urban Upgrading (VPUU) Programme). Visit the RSEP/VPUU website to read more: https://www.westerncape.gov.za/rsep/
Visit the Contact Us page to get in touch.