POPIA Privacy Notice
The Department of Economic Development and Tourism respects and protects your privacy. Our Privacy Notice applies to all persons (both natural and juristic, like companies and close corporations) whose personal information we collect, regardless of form and medium. This includes our employees, consultants, agents, service providers and municipal delegates. The Privacy Notice applies to all our services and related websites.
You must read this notice together with the rules for using our website (including our disclaimer), our copyright license and any other notices and policies that may apply to you. (For example, the WCG IT End User Policy).
In addition to this general notice we may need to explain specific privacy practices in more detail. In such circumstances, we develop and provide separate privacy notices to describe how we will handle the personal information that we collect. For example, where we ask you to provide personal information in relation to your employment or in a public submission to a policy proposal, we will provide you with a privacy notice at the time of collection or as soon as practicable afterwards. These privacy notices explain our personal information handling practices in relation to that particular purpose or activity.
This is a general notice that explains:
- Who we collect personal information from;
- What personal information we collect;
- Why we collect your personal information;
- How we use your personal information; and
- What rights you have in relation to your personal information.
This notice also explains:
- You can access the information we hold about you and ask for that information to be corrected; and
- You can make a complaint about the way we have handled your personal information.
This Notice explains briefly how the Department of Economic Development & Tourism collects and uses personal information.
- We collect personal information you chose to give us as a member of the public, job applicant, employee or supplier.
- We also collect information we need to provide you with specific public services.
- Other sources such as service providers or public bodies may also collect or check information from or about you on our behalf.
- We collect all or some of the following information where you give it to us, or it is typically required in certain situations:
- general personal and contact information such as name, address, phone number and email address;
- more detailed or sensitive information such as race, disability, gender, health and other information that is relevant and necessary to our relationship or specific government services you receive;
- educational, employment, financial and criminal history from job applicants; tax number; bank account details and other relevant information from employees and suppliers; and
- close circuit television (CCTV) images, audio recordings, photographs, fingerprints and identity numbers of people who access our buildings and facilities.
- Our website collects basic information about use.
- We use your personal information routinely to communicate and manage our relationship with you, to provide you with public services, for administrative reasons and to manage building security and access control.
- We only share your personal information on a confidential or restricted basis with selected:
- external services providers working on our behalf, and
- staff or external bodies for historical, statistical or research purposes.
- Sometimes we have to share personal information with public bodies for legal, law enforcement, public health and safety and similar reasons.
- You do not have to give us personal information, but then we may not be able to communicate with or provide government services to you.
- You have certain rights to access, correct or object to use of your personal information, subject to proof of identity.
- We store some personal information in secure foreign data centres.
- The Protection of Personal Information Act 2013 (POPIA) and other laws regulate how we use and protect your personal information.
- You may contact the Information Regulator at email@example.com for help.