New and upgraded health facilities
The Department of Transport and Public Works is responsible for building and upgrading health facilities for the Western Cape Department of Health and boasts a picturesque portfolio of projects which include community day centres, clinics, emergency centres and hospitals.
In line with the Western Cape Government’s vision, we aim to “lead in the delivery of government infrastructure and related services”.
The Western Cape Department of Health commissions us to build or upgrade these health facilities to improve service delivery to people living in different parts of the Western Cape.
This project, which was completed in May 2022, created 53 employment opportunities for the community of Nelspoort.
In April 2022 the Department of Transport and Public Works (DTPW) completed a R3.4m general upgrade and maintenance of the Elim Clinic near Bredasdorp.
Groote Schuur upgrades
- News: Access control upgrade at Groote Schuur Hospital
- News: New HVAC equipment at Groote Schuur Hospital
- News: Neonatal Unit at Groote Schuur Hospital complete
Pearly Beach Clinic
Approximately R570 000 will be spent on targeted contractors and suppliers. One unskilled woman and one unskilled youth will have short-term employment on the project.
Knysna Forensic Pathology
The new laboratory will replace the old facility located at the South African Police Service station which is not suitable for extensions or refurbishments.
Murraysburg Ambulance Station upgrade
By the time the contract is complete, R2.1 m will have been spent on targeted contractors and suppliers. One woman and one youth will benefit from the work that is created on the project.
- News: Gansbaai Clinic update
- News: Gansbaai gets new clinic of over R21 million to ease service load pressures
This "green" clinic" in Beaufort West cost R23.5 million to build and boasts the most sustainable design features than any other conventional facility in the Province.
- News: Hillside Clinic receives Sustainable Design Award
- News: Beaufort West Hillside Clinic completed
- News: Impressive sustainable design features for Hillside clinic in Beaufort West
- News: Construction of Beaufort West Clinic
The Department of Transport and Public Works has completed a R124 million architectural project for phased upgrades and extensions to the Vredenburg Hospital to cater for the growing health needs of the West Coast district.
- News: Hospital upgrade receives Sustainable Design Award
- News: Vredenburg Hospital upgrades completed
- News: Upgrades at Vredenburg Hospital progressing well
Disaster Management Centre in Caledon
A R9 million Department of Transport and Public Works project to build a new Emergency Communication Centre (ECC) and Disaster Management Centre in Caledon has been completed.
Satellite Clinic at Chatsworth
The new replacement satellite clinic at Chatsworth was based on the design template developed for rural satellite clinics and implemented in Abbotsdale only 25 km away.
Satellite Clinic at Abbotsdale
A new satellite clinic has been built in the growing community of Abbotsdale, just outside Malmesbury in the Swartland Municipality, West Coast District.
While it is due for replacement in the next 10 years, the Emergency Centre Upgrade and Additions project set out to alleviate these capacity constraints on the current infrastructure and services.
Observatory Forensic Pathology Institute
We're making good progress with a project to replace the Forensic Pathology Services (FPS) laboratory in Salt River.
- News: New Observatory Forensic Pathology Institute to open doors in April
- News: Observatory Forensic Pathology Institute nears completion
- News: Good progress on Observatory Forensic Pathology Institute construction project
Paternoster Satellite Clinic
A R4.8m Department of Transport and Public Works maintenance and upgrading project at the Paternoster Satellite Clinic is nearing completion.
We've completed a R42m upgrade of the Tygerberg Hospital electrical substation and generator panel as part of the hospital's maintenance and remedial works programme.
The hospital and clinic will share a new entrance.
Victoria Hospital upgrade
R80 million of the total of R1.2 billion earmarked for infrastructure investment this year (2019), will be spent on the construction of a brand new EC for this hospital.
District Six Community Health Centre
The centre provides services from 07:30 to 16:30 for to up to 750 patients a day from Salt River, Woodstock, Vredehoek and central Cape Town.
- News: District Six Community Day Centre Officially Opened
- News: Construction of new District Six community Health Centre
- News: Historic District Six to receive new community health facility
The new Napier Clinic will replace the existing building which is too small. It will provide a range of primary healthcare (PHC) services once it’s open.
Thembalethu Community Day Centre
The facility will include an infectious disease unit, a chronic care unit, an acute treatment unit, and a pharmacy.
- News: New Thembalethu health facility is almost complete
- News: Construction of community day centre in Thembalethu
Valkenberg Psychiatric Hospital
The Department completed a R57 million project at Valkenberg Psychiatric Hospital in July 2017.