Credit card format driving licence
As from 1 May 2003, the credit card format driving licence officially replaced the Identity Document (ID) version.
You can still convert your old ID driving licence to the credit card format if you fall into one of the following categories:
- You were working or studying abroad on 30 April 2003.
- You were in a medical facility or incarcerated in South Africa on 30 April 2003.
- You are a spouse of someone working abroad on 30 April 2003.
You must convert your licence within six months from returning to South Africa or upon being released from the medical institution or correctional facility.
You need the following documents to convert your driving licence:
- SA ID Document.
- Proof of Employment/work contract.
- Proof of studies.
- Proof from medical institution (with exact dates of being in the institution).
- Proof from the correctional facility (with exact dates of incarceration).
- Spouse’s proof of employment and affidavit from applicant confirming he/she accompanied spouse abroad.
You can apply for permission to do a late conversion of your South African driving licence at the Department of Transport and Public Works’ Driving Licence Helpdesk.
Street Address: Walk-in Centre, c/o Loop and Dorp Street, Cape Town.
Opening times: Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 15:00.
- 021 483 0520
- 021 483 6401
- 021 483 2469
- 021 483 2080
- 021 483 2078