Access to Information and Public Records


The Department of Infrastructure provides access to information and public records, in keeping with the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2 of 2000. There are conditions to this, and a fee might have to be paid.

How do I access government information from the Department?

  • To apply for access to government records under the Act, you will need to complete Form 2 (also available in Afrikaans and isiXhosa). You will also need to pay R100.00 before the request can be processed. This can be paid at a cashier at the Department.
  • You can indicate on Form  2 (also available in Afrikaans and isiXhosa) whether you want a copy of the record or only want to look at it.
  • When completing Form 2 (also available in Afrikaans and isiXhosa), you can also indicate in which language you would like the record. However, the Department is not obligated to translate it to this language.
  • You may also indicate in what form (ie paper copy, electronic copy) you would like to access the record. This will be supplied unless doing so will interfere with the running of the department or, for practical reasons, access cannot be given in the required medium.
  • Access fees do not apply to records requested by maintenance officers or maintenance investigators.
  • Should you need copies of the requested record, for instance, then the access fees will apply.
  • If your annual income does not exceed R14 712.00 per annum, or if you are married and your combined annual income does not exceed R27 192.00, then you will be exempted from paying access fees.
  • The access fee payment does not apply to requests for your personal records.
  • In certain instances, you may also be requested to pay a deposit.
  • You may lodge an internal appeal against the payment of the deposit and/or access fee. Should you want to lodge an internal appeal, Form 4 (also available in Afrikaans and isiXhosa) must be completed.
  • In the event that the internal appeal procedure has been exhausted and you are still not satisfied with the result, a court may be approached for an appropriate court order.
  • Access to a record will be withheld until all applicable fees have been paid.
  • You may request information on behalf of another person, but the capacity in which the request is made must be indicated.
  • If an applicant is unable to read or write, or cannot complete the form because of a disability, the request can be made verbally. The information officer, or a person so delegated, must then fill in the form on behalf of the applicant and give them a copy of the completed form.

View the Department of Infrastructure Information Regulator Registration Certificate

You can also access Government Information from other Western Cape Government Departments.

Contact Details:

Administrative Officer
Ryan Brown
Tel: 021 483 6201
Fax: 021 483 4862

Walk-in Centre
C/o Dorp and Loop Streets
Monday to Friday, 8am to 12:30pm and 1:30pm to 3pm

Read the latest PAIA information