Further Education and Training | Western Cape Government

Further education and training

Furthering your studies

Having a qualification increases your chances of landing your perfect job. Make sure you know which courses you will need to study before you apply for your dream job. Use these guidelines to get started.

Planning and research

Make sure you do plenty of planning and research before applying to study. Answer these five questions to get started:

  • When can I apply and what do I need for my application and registration?
  • What will I do once my course is completed and will I need working experience?
  • What would I like to achieve at the end of my course?
  • Does the institution I am considering offer all the courses/subjects I need?
  • How will I pay my fees?

Determine where you can study

Before you apply to study, it is useful to understand the requirements and how your matric results influence your application. Your matric pass level determines whether you will study at a university, university of technology or Further Education and Training (FET) college:

With a Higher Certificate Pass you can study:

  • A bridging course at an FET college.
  • At trade schools like beauty schools, chef schools or IT colleges.
  • In-house training in various industries.
  • You can also apply for manual or administrative positions at various companies.

With a Diploma Pass you can study:

  • Bridging courses at FET colleges.
  • Diploma courses at various universities, and universities of technology.
  • Since universities of technology focus on practical learning, you will usually find that a diploma is shorter than a university degree, but includes a much larger practical component.

With a Bachelors’ Pass you can study at any tertiary institution in South Africa, as long as you have met the requirements for your chosen field of study.

Where to study

TVET colleges:

If you want to apply at a private institution, check whether it is registered by calling FET helpline on 0800 872 2222.


Find out what other universities you can apply to. 


There are many ways to gain work experience. You can volunteer by finding a listed charitable organisation or consider these programmes:

  • Volunteer Wildfire Services recruits volunteer firefighters between March and May each year. If you enjoy a bit of wildlife-focused administration in your free time, the programme also has volunteering positions on the logistical and operational side.
  • Cheetah Outreach welcomes part-time and full-time volunteers who like the outdoors and the big cats.
  • SANCCOB have limited permanent staff and welcome volunteers who show a long-term commitment. Volunteers are taught as much as they’d like to know about sea birds.
  • Two Oceans Aquarium hosts an education and environmental facility and they welcome volunteers to assist. 
  • Monkeyland rehabilitates and frees previously captured animals and is home to a wide range of primates. They welcome full-time volunteers to stay for at least one month and help out with a range of tasks. 
  • Help2Read aims to recruit, train and support literate adult volunteers from local communities in an effort to ultimately help disadvantaged primary school children who struggle to read.

Internships and apprenticeships

Many organisations offer internships throughout the year. Internships provide experience and skills that will help you in your chosen career.

Consider these organisations:


The content on this page was last updated on 27 September 2017