Individual Housing Subsidy Applications Open 3 April 2017 With New Criteria | Western Cape Government


Individual Housing Subsidy Applications Open 3 April 2017 With New Criteria

30 March 2015

NB. Applications for the Individual Non-Credit Linked Subsidy Programme for the Metro area has closed and only applications in the non-metro area will only be accepted.

The application process will differ from previous years, as applicants will need to meet two additional requirements before being considered for a subsidy.

  1. They must have been registered on the municipal housing list for at least 10 years.
  2. Prioritisation will be given to those with special needs, and over the age of 40 years.

The additional criteria was  implemented through the executive authority of Western Cape Human Settlements Minister Bonginkosi Madikizela, to ensure that the limited subsidies available were allocated to those who have been waiting for houses for a long time and were the most vulnerable. Historically, potential housing beneficiaries had used the individual housing subsidy as a way to jump the housing queue.

Individual subsidy application forms can be obtained from the ground floor of 27 Wale Street, Cape Town. The subsidies are only to buy an existing house, and the applicant must produce a copy of the seller’s Title Deed in order to obtain an application form. The forms can be filled in and dropped off at 27 Wale Street between 1 and 17 April 2015, and there will be no need to stand in a queue. All applications will be collected after 15 April and evaluated in terms of the criteria below.

  • You must have been on the municipal housing demand database for a minimum period of 10 years. (Proof of registration required).
  • Priority will be given to applicants over the age of 40 years and /or with special needs.
  • You are married or living with a long-term partner / or You are single or divorced with others who rely on your income.
  • You are a South African citizen or you have a permanent resident's permit.
  • You are over 18 years of age or if under 18 have dependants.
  • Your monthly household income before deductions is less than R3 500.
  • You or your partner have never received a subsidy from the government.
  • You or your partner have never owned property.
  • You and your family will live on the property bought with the subsidy.
  • Single people without financial dependants – such as senior citizens, disabled people, etc. can also apply.

Note: You cannot apply for a housing subsidy if you have received a subsidy or housing assistance from the government before.

A housing subsidy is worth R160 573 and does not have to be repaid.

  • If you can prove that you are disabled or in permanent bad health, you qualify for a housing subsidy of R160 573, plus a set disability variance amount to pay for the cost of any extra features your house may need, for example, a ramp for wheelchair access.

To apply, you will need the following documents

  • Proof of registration on the municipal housing demand database (waiting list) (e.g. City of Cape Town).
  • A certified copy of you and your partner’s official South African ID book or card.
  • The certified birth certificates of people who rely on your income (such as children or grandchildren).
    Note: You will be asked to provide the ID numbers of your financial dependents. A certified copy of your Permanent Residency Permit if you are not a South African citizen, plus those of your partner or spouse and dependents.
  • A certified copy of your marriage certificate, if you are married.
  • A certified copy of your divorce decree, if you are divorced with financial dependents.
  • An original recent payslip as proof of income. If you are unemployed, an affidavit confirming your unemployment is required.
  • You will also need:
    • To supply a certified copy of the signed agreement of sale for the property.
    • Be sure to make the sale conditional to your receiving a housing subsidy as well as a certified copy of the seller's title deed.

For further information, interested parties can

Information is also available on

Media Enquiries: 

Zalisile Mbali

Spokesperson for Minister Bonginkosi Madikizela
Tel: 021 483 4798
Cell: 078 600 7729