R60 and R62 from Ashton to Montagu through Cogmanskloof under construction
Two stop/go controls of up to 2.5 km each will remain in place in Cogmanskloof until 2020.
The average total delay in travelling time through Cogmanskloof is 15 minutes but, in peak traffic periods, the delay could be as long as 40 minutes.
The C818 project entails the reconstruction of the R60 from a point
west of Ashton (km 15,0 of TR31/2) through Ashton, and the R62 through
Cogmanskloof and Montagu to a point east of Montagu (km 1,4 of TR31/3).
The project includes:
- widening the R60 through Ashton,
- adding 1.5 m shoulders to the R62 through Cogmanskloof,
- rebuilding almost 1 km of Van Riebeeck Street in Montagu,
- replacing the Ashton, Boy Retief and Voortrekker river bridges,
- installing erosion and scour protection at Billy Loftus Bridge and Van Der Merwe Bridge,
- upgrading storm water systems and street lighting in Montagu and Ashton,
- relocating and protecting existing services, and
- installing new services.
The project began in July 2015 with Basil Read as the contractor. The contract was terminated after Basil Read entered business rescue proceedings in June 2018. Haw & Inglis Civil Engineering was appointed in May 2019 to complete the project. The construction period for the remaining work is approximately 22 months.
The road through Ashton will be constructed in half-widths, allowing two-way traffic during construction. However, the road construction in Cogmanskloof requires two semi-permanent stop/go controls of up to 2.5 km each.
The average delay in travelling time through Cogmanskloof is 15 minutes but, during peak traffic periods, delays could be up to 40 minutes.
More information regarding actual construction activities to be executed in the immediate future, will be made available shortly.
Consulting Engineers: AECOM SA
Resident Engineer: David Vivier 079 663 7124
Contractor: Haw & Inglis Civil Engineering
Site Agent: Robert Salvage 083 747 0247
Byron la Hoe
Department of Transport and Public Works
Tel: 021 483 9813
Cell: 079 281 8570