Provincial Archive Service: Overview
|Tel:||021 483 9503|
|Fax:||021 483 9504|
- Looking Back through the Archives
- Celebrating South African Records Collection and Preservation
- Using the reading room of the Western Cape Archives and Records Service
- Archive Advisory Committee
- Documenting Lives
Western Cape Archives and Records Service
The Western Cape Archives and Records Service collects, manages and preserves records that form part of our archival heritage. These records are preserved for use by government and people of South Africa.
The Western Cape Archives and Records Service is in the custody of archival records dating from 1651when the first colonial settlement by the Dutch was established.
The core functions of the Western Cape Archives and Records Service include:
- Providing access to records and promote their use by the public
- Ensure proper records management
- Preserving records
Archival records are made up of public records and non-public records. Public records are created by government, government departments and organisations in the course of performing their functions. Non-public records are private records and papers created by private individuals and donated to the Archives Repository.
- Government departments and offices.
- Magistrates and Bantu Affairs Commissioners.
- Cape Provincial Administration.
- School Boards.
- Provincial hospitals.
- South African Railways.
- Village Management Boards.
- Local Boards.
- Divisional Councils and Regional Services Councils.
- Commissions and Committees.
- General collection.
- Elliott Collection.
- Jeffreys Collection.
- Ravenscroft Collection.
- Steer Collection.
- Leibbrandt manuscripts.
- Drawings and sketches.
- Non-public records, including the records of private individuals and organisations, that complement the history of the city and the province.
1879 - Dr George McCall Theal, a clerk in the stationery section of the Treasury Department, is charged with the part-time supervision of the archives depot.
To listen to the Archives radio clips, click the play button below: