Archives Awareness Week
National Archives Awareness Week has been celebrated in annually South Africa since 2004.
The aim of the event is to popularise the archival profession, engage communities on the importance of archives in the preservation of societal memory and promote the importance of good record keeping practices.
The Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport’s Archives and Records Service is responsible for the management of the Western Cape Archives, and observes the annual celebration by hosting various public events each year.
Archives Awareness Week 2021
Archives Awareness Week will be celebrated from Monday 07 to Friday 11 June under the theme “Empowering Archives”, in keeping with the International Archives Council (IAC) and International Archives Week.
The theme aims to highlight the role archives play in empowering accountability and transparency, through access to information for holding governments accountable and ensuring that citizens know and can protect their rights.
This year the Western Cape Archives is offering members of the public the opportunity to learn more about genealogy research and records management through two online workshops.
Family History Workshop:
- Facilitated by Aubrey Springveldt
- Tuesday 8 June at 11:00 (with a possible follow up on Friday 11 June at 11:00)
- Contact Gustav Hendrich to reserve a place: Gustav.Hendrich@westerncape.gov.za or 021 483 0426
Information and Records Management Workshop:
- Wednesday 9 June at 09:00 – 11:00
- Venue: Online via Microsoft Teams
- Contact Ronichia Manuel-Sam to reserve a place: Ronichia.Manuel@westerncape.gov.za or 021 483 0428
More information about the Archives and Record Services is available online:
- Opening Hours
- Getting There
- What can you find at the Archives?
- Documenting Lives
- History of the Archives
- Collections Available
- What happens at the National Archives and Records Service?
National Archives Awareness Week connects people, places and cultures. Let’s preserve our rich history for present and future generations, BETTER TOGETHER.