Heritage Resources: Overview
- Notice: Contact details
- Notice: Application submissions
- Notice: Additional meetings
- Notice: Approved conservation bodies
- HWC News
- Cradle of Human Culture
- Online Heritage Routes
- Draft National Policy on Repatriation and Restitution of Human Remains and Heritage Objects
- Monuments and Memorials Guidelines
- International Day on Monuments and Sites
- Summary of Revised White Paper on Arts, Culture and Heritage
- WC Government nominates sites to UNESCO for World Heritage Site Status
- Heritage Human Resources Development Strategy
- SAHRA reassess HWC
Heritage Western Cape (HWC)
Heritage Western Cape (HWC) is a provincial heritage resources authority. Established in January 2003, this public entity seeks to identify, protect and conserve the rich and diverse heritage resources of the Western Cape.
There are landscapes, sites, artefacts, buildings and structures that are of significance to the people of the Western Cape. Identifying, protecting and conserving these heritage resources will ensure that they are promoted and conserved for generations to come.
Heritage Western Cape was established in terms of the National Heritage Resources Act, Act 25 of 1999. It is mandated to promote co-operative governance between national, provincial and local authorities for the identification, conservation and management of heritage resources.
In promoting heritage, Heritage Western Cape recognizes that heritage resources are both tangible and intangible. These include
- Places of worship
- Historical sites
- Sacred sites
- Oral traditions
- Indigenous knowledge systems
- Structures associated with slavery
- Palaeontological artefacts such as fossils
- Archaeological artefacts and sites such as ship wrecks, burial grounds & graves, memorials and rock art sites.
Heritage Resource Management Services provides executive and administrative services to Heritage Western Cape. Appropriately qualified and experienced staff within Heritage Resource Management Services implement heritage legislation in managing provincial heritage resources.