Greenest Municipality Competition Winners Announced
20 November 2013
The Greenest Municipality Competition (GMC) aims to promote improved service delivery that restores community pride and commitment in caring for the living environment. It also focuses on improved integrated sustainable development strategies in municipalities.
There is an energy of innovation and leadership which continues to emanate from our Western Cape Municipalities. The work delivered in this competition, by participating municipalities, is the essence of what is needed to create a space of socio-economic growth and prosperity.
Creating clean living spaces, exploring avenues for job opportunities, restoring community pride and creating a sense of belonging for the people we serve are the socio-economic issues which we are able address through this competition. As we work hand-in-hand we start, and continue to create sustainable lifestyles for our communities, better together.
The competition is now in its third year in the Western Cape and includes two categories for evaluation i.e. Local and District Municipalities.
Both Local and District Municipalities were evaluated on six different themes as follows:
- Waste Management
- Energy Efficiency & Conservation
- Biodiversity Management, Coastal Management & Beautification
- Water Management and Conservation
- Air Quality Management and
- Leadership, Compliance, Institutional Arrangements & Public Participation
The winners are as follows:
Greenest Municipality Competition Winners 2013
- Mossel Bay Municipality (Winner)-Prize money - R120 000
- Drakenstein Municipality (1st Runner up)- Prize money - R80 000
- Swartland Municipality (2nd Runner up) - Prize money - R50 000
- Overstrand (2nd Runner up)- Prize money - R50 000
- Eden District Municipality (Winner)- Prize money - R120 000
- West Coast (1st Runner up)- Prize money - R80 000
Most Improved Municipalities (Element Category) - Certificates
- Waste Management- Bergriver Municipality
- Energy Efficiency & Conservation- Witzenberg Municipality
- Biodiversity Management, Coastal Management & Urban Beautification- Saldanha Bay Municipality
- Water Conservation Management- Bergriver Municipality
- Air Quality Management- Hessequa Municipality
Innovation Projects - Certificates
- Mosselbay Municipality- Biotrickling Filter System
- Overstrand Municipality- Biological Water Treatment Plant
- Swartland Municipality- Wonder bag Roll-out Process : Socio-Economic Value Benefit , Poverty Alleviation and Job creation
- Bergriver Municipality- Planning Horizon shifted to start accommodating changing environmental scenarios, leading to an innovative engagement with strategic projects such as Climate Change Municipal Support Programme, Bergriver Project
- Hessequa Municipality- Research Study :Unlocking the Rooftop PV Market in SA
- Witzenberg Municipality- Allows excess energy produced from the 500kVa Photovoltaic system on Ceres Cold Storage Rooms system to be fed back onto the grid, via Net-metering.
I want to congratulate the winning municipalities. Thank you for creating a sustainable environment for future generations. Together we can renew our commitment to improve on service delivery.