Looking for a Job?
The Western Cape Government (WCG) invites suitably qualified persons to apply for various jobs and is guided by the principles of Employment Equity. Disabled candidates are encouraged to apply.
The jobs advertised here are only for positions in the Western Cape Government. This is not a comprehensive list of all WCG vacancies. Neither does it include jobs in National and Local Government. It is a good idea to consult local newspapers for additional current vacancies.
For job vacancies in National Government or Provincial Administration, consult the Public Service Vacancy Circular.
Jobs advertised in the circular are only open to public servants (at all levels of government) unless otherwise stated.
How to Apply for a Government Job
- The first step in applying for an advertised government job is to fill in the government job application form, called form Z83. You can download this form, or get it from any government office. Applications for employment are not accepted without a completed Z83 form.
- To fill the form in properly, you will need to have the advertisement for the job in front of you for the correct details, such as the reference number for the job, the position name and the department which advertised the job, to be filled in on "Part A" of the form.
- After completing the form, you should attach your CV. You may be asked to supply certified copies of any certificates or degrees you have mentioned in your CV or on the form. Submit your job application (Z83 form, CV and copies of certificates) to the place listed in the advertisement before the closing date.
- Please note that any job applications sent by fax or e-mail will not be accepted. All job applications, including Z83 forms, CVs and certified documents, must be posted or delivered by hand to the address listed in each advertisement.
- Do not send any more information or documents after the closing date as they will not be taken into consideration. Positions are usually advertised for about a month before being closed.
Job Applications: Quick Checklist
Before you send your job application to the address as advertised, use this checklist to make sure that all your documents are in order:
- I have completed the Z83 form.
- My completed Z83 form is signed and dated.
- My CV (maximum five pages) is attached.
- These certified documents are attached:
1. Matric certificate.
2. Qualifications (Degrees and Diplomas).
3. Identity document or passport (if not South African).
4. Driver's licence (if required).
- Optional cover letter.
What to Expect After Applying for a Government Job
After the closing date, all of the applications will be considered and certain applicants selected (short-listed) for an interview. Those who are selected for an interview will be telephoned to set an interview date.
A selection committee or panel conducts the interviews. According to the public service regulations, the committee must consist of at least three government employees at the same or higher grading level as the job advertised. The selection committee will recommend a candidate after all of the interviews are completed.
The selection committee must record the reasons for its recommendation. This recommendation can be approved or rejected by the person with executive responsibility for appointments, which in a provincial department is the minister concerned. Reasons must be given where the recommendation is rejected.
All appointments for more than a year's contract are subject to a period of probation.