16 Days of Activism public awareness drive launched at Cape Town Station
Today, Western Cape Minister of Social Development, Albert Fritz, launched the department’s “SPEAK OUT – SILENCE TO STRENGTH” public awareness drive at the Cape Town Station (taxi rank deck) during morning rush hour.
The awareness drive forms part of the Departments 16 Days of Activism for No Violence Against Women and Children campaign.
Minister Fritz was joined by the department’s social workers from our Metro North Regional Office and officials from the Victim Empowerment Programme (VEP).
Minister Fritz and social workers had a chance to interact with commuters and the public, and pamphlets with information on how to access the Departments services were handed out.
Through the Children & Families Programme and the VEP, the Department spends the greatest proportion (R645-million) of its budget on services to women and children. For victims of abuse and violence, the VEP funds a network of 16 shelters and safehouses for women and children across the province. The services rendered at these shelters include;
- Temporary safe care facilities,
- Therapeutic, developmental and recreational programmes for affected children,
- A sexual assault referral system,
- Counselling, therapy, restoration and healing programmes,
- Public education on issues of abuse and violence,
- Developing new and partnering with existing community-led anti-abuse initiatives,
- Provide skills development programmes to rehabilitate and promote self-sustainability of the clients at the shelter.
Our shelters also cater for victims of human trafficking. A total of 103 trafficking victims have been assisted this year, compared to 41 in 2015.
We can end the abuse of women and children if we continue to work together and build partnerships with communities. The public can report any cases of abuse of women and children by approaching our social workers at regional or local offices, or by contacting the DSD hotline on 0800 220 250.
Spokesperson for Albert Fritz, Minister of Social Development
Western Cape Government
7th floor, 14 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town, 8000
Tel : (021) 483 9217
Cell : 076 083 6543
Email : Sihle.Ngobese@westerncape.gov.za