Transport Stakeholders Discuss George Integrated Public Transport Network
Joint Media Statement by Donald Grant, Minister of Transport and Public Works and Charles Standers, Mayor of George Municipality
Following the senseless killing of the chief negotiator for the George Integrated Public Transport Network (GITPN), Mr Tom Queba on Sunday, 25 May 2014, a meeting was held between all stakeholders to address issues of concern and agree on the way forward. The meeting, held on 5 June 2014, was attended by officials from:
- Department of Transport and Public Works
- George Municipality
- South African National Taxi Council (SANTACO)
- UNCEDO Taxi Association
- George Taxi Owners Front
- George Huurmotor Vereniging
- Louis Transport
- George Link
At the meeting, it was agreed that:
- Discussions regarding the implementation of the GIPTN would continue in an environment of open dialogue and trust to ensure the successful roll-out of the project.
- Violence or the incitement thereof, is an unacceptable approach to resolving differences.
- A forum would be created where issues raised, by the respective stakeholders, would be addressed after the completion of the negotiation process.
- Safety and security was a shared responsibility between the George community and the respective authorities; but that ultimately, law enforcement authorities must play a leading role in ensuring the safety of all stakeholders in the project, as well as safety of the commuters that will be making use of the Go George system.
- The planning and implementation of the GIPTN would continue as planned, and in keeping with the principles previously established during the negotiation process.
SANTACO, as requested by UNCEDO Taxi Association, will engage with the relevant associations to convey their position regarding the negotiation process, and on the agreements reached.
We remain committed to the successful roll-out of Go George, and will immediately resume operational readiness discussions. Mr Tom Queba’s death will not have been in vain, and his dream of seeing the lives of the people of George improve through access to an efficient, safe and reliable public transport system, will be realised. We are both appreciative and encouraged by the manner in which the minibus taxi industry in George, has come together in full and continued support of this initiative; an initiative that we all acknowledge will be vital to economic growth and development in the region.
Spokesperson for the Minister Donald Grant
Ministry of Transport and Public Works
Cell: 084 233 3811
Tel: 021 483 8954
Media Liaison Officer - George Municipality
Cell: 082 350 2420
Tel: 044 801 9160