St George's Anglican Cathedral and the Memory of Nelson Mandela
14 December 2013
Sunday 15 December is the day that Madiba’s mortal remains will be laid in Qunu.
The Cathedral service begins at 9:30am. All are welcome.
The bell-ringers will pay their respects to Madiba by ringing 95 hand and 95 backstroke "dongs" before the 09:30 service, with the bells half muffled.
The programme includes:
- Minister Trevor Manuel will share his insights on Madiba
- a poem dedicated to Madiba by the poet Khadija Tracy Heeger;
- The University of Stellenbosch-based academic, Ncebakazi Mnukwana will play the Kora bow. Her piece would be prefaced by an explanation of the link between the Nguni people and San;
- The psalm of the day will be Stephen Carletti’s “Ek slaan my oe op na die berge”;
- Daniel Speckman will sing ‘In the Presence of the Lord’;
- The Parish of St Cyprian's, Retreat will provide the trumpeters. They will preface the Last Post with the hymn Lead Kindly Light.