Death | Western Cape Government


Administration of Estates Act, 66 of 1965

No. 66 of 1965Department of Justice and Constitutional Development (National) (The Government of South Africa)
This act aims to consolidate and amend the law relating to: the liquidation and distribution of the estates of deceased persons, the administration of the property of miners and persons under curatorship, and of derelict estates regulate the rights of beneficiaries under mutual wills made by any two or more persons amend the Mental Disorders Act, 1916 and to provide for incidental matters.

Administration of Estates Amendment Bill

(File type: pdf; size: 200.04 KB)10 April 2000Department of Justice and Constitutional Development (National) (The Government of South Africa)
This bill aims to amend the Administration of Estates Act, 1965, so as to delete certain definitions, substitute other definitions and insert a new definition; and to substitute obsolete references. It also makes the Administration of Estates Act, 1965, applicable throughout the Republic, repeal corresponding laws in force in the areas of the former Republics of Transkei, Bophuthatswana, Vends and Ciskei.

Births and Deaths Registration Amendment Act, 67 of 1997

No. 67 of 1997Department of Home Affairs (National) (The Government of South Africa)
This Act amends the Births and Deaths Registration Act, 1992, so as to further regulate changing the particulars on documents held by the Department of Home Affairs. It also provides for the assumption of another surname.

City of Cape Town Cemeteries, Funeral Parlours and Crematoria

The City of Cape Town municipality regulates the cemeteries, funeral parlours and crematoria in the area. For more information, you can visit the City of Cape Town website.

Deceased Estates: Wills

(Public Information)

Making a Will

When you die, your estate is divided between your family or the people that you would want to have inherit from you. Your estate consists of your personal property and possessions, as well as any money or other assets you own.

Obtaining a Death Certificate

When you register a death with the Department of Home Affairs, you will be issued with an abridged death certificate.

Registering a Death

When a person dies, the family, or a person present at the death, must report the death to the Registrar of Births and Deaths. The Births and Deaths Registration Act 51 of 1992 provides an outline of the procedures that must be followed upon a death.