Obtaining a Death Certificate | Western Cape Government

Obtaining a Death Certificate


When you register a death with the Department of Home Affairs, you will be issued with an abridged death certificate.


Application form for death certificateTo register a death, you’ll have to report it at one of the following institutions:

  • Specific officers at the Department of Home Affairs
  • South African Police Service members, especially in areas where the Department of Home Affairs has no offices
  • South African mission, embassy  or consulate, if the death occurred abroad

Complete form BI-1663 (Notification of death/still-birth) to register the death. The following people must complete different sections of this form:

  • The person reporting the death.
  • A medical practitioner (where a medical practitioner is not available to complete this form, in rural areas, for example, a traditional leader may complete the form).
  • A Home Affairs official (where an official from the Department of Home Affairs is not available then a member of the SA Police Services may be approached to complete the form).

The Register of Births & Death will give you a death report (form BI-1680) after the death has been registered, together with a burial order (Form BI-14). 

The Department of Home Affairs will issue a death certificate when they receive a notification of death (Form BI-1663) and the death report (Form BI-1680).

If you require a replacement copy or a full death certificate, you can apply for these at your nearest Home Affairs office by completing form BI-132.

Applications for a death certificate must be lodged at any  Department of Home Affairs office or  any South African embassy, mission or consulate if the death occurs overseas.

An abridged death certificate will be issued free of charge the death is registered. Apply for an unabridged death certificate  by completing Form BI-132 and paying the required fee, which is R75.00. 

Provided At: These facility categories:
Provided by:
Government Body: (The Government of South Africa)
The content on this page was last updated on 20 July 2022