Prosthetic and Orthotic Services | Western Cape Government

22Covid-19 Alerts

COVID-19 Vaccine Information and Dashboard

View Vaccine information

TB Information and Dashboard

View TB information

Prosthetic and Orthotic Services

The whole of the Western Cape is served by a single Orthotic and Prosthetic Centre in Pinelands, Cape Town.

Orthotic devices also known as orthosis are used to optimise:

  • Functional mobility in a disabled person.
  • To align, support, or correct deformities, or to improve the movement of joints, spine, or limbs.
e.g. shoe inserts, and ankle-foot orthoses, which stabilise the ankle after a stroke.

Prosthetic devices on the other hand are used to:

  • Replace a body part after the loss of a limb either by birth or due to an accident.
The centre is responsible for providing orthotic and prosthetic services to all the four Western Cape regions excluding the South/Cape Karoo, which has outsourced this service to a private service provider.

You have to be referred to the Pinelands centre by either an orthopaedic surgeon/orthopaedic sister/physiotherapist or occupational therapist. Staff from the centre offer outreach programmes at satellite clinics in the various regions once every three months.

Callipers are available for people who have polio, neurological disorders, strokes and low muscle tone.

People who are physically and mentally disabled must first check to see if there is a service at primary health care level. They will be referred up the line when necessary.

If you are a first time visitor to a health facility, you will be asked to

  • Fill out a form and a folder will be opened.
  • Your identity document (ID) and in the case of a child, the Road to Health Card.
  • Clinic or hospital card if previously registered at the facility.
You have to be referred to the Pinelands Centre.

Orthotic and Prosthetic Centre, Ext Forest Drive, Pinelands, 7405
Tel: 021 531 5300

Provided At: These facility categories:
Provided by:
Government Body: (Western Cape Government)
If you are unemployed or dependent on any government grant, the service is free. However, if you are disabled but employed or on a medical aid scheme you will be charged according to your income or charges will be added to you medical aid scheme. Exceptions are made for those who earn a low income and cannot afford the medical expenses. To qualify you will need to produce a copy of your identity document (ID), most recent pay slip and an affidavit.
The content on this page was last updated on 5 September 2013