Approval of your building plans | Western Cape Government

Approval of your building plans


All building plans need to be approved by your municipality. Before approving a building plan, they may consider many factors, for example the impact of the development on the surrounding environment and heritage status among other things.



If you’re considering extensive home renovations which will have an impact on the structure of your home, you’ll need your building plan approved before any construction begins. This is to ensure that all the construction plans comply with guidelines and related regulations.

Your municipality is responsible for checking and approving all building plans and they'll consider various factors, including the impact on the surrounding environment and health consequences of the development before approving any plan.

1) Submission requirements

You’ll need to follow certain building plan submission requirements in order to get your plan submitted for approval. Your municipality will make these requirements available to you.

Here’s a list of the forms you’ll need to fill out, to get your building plan approved by your municipality.

2) Building plan application form 

If you want to submit your building plan for approval, you’ll need to get the building plan application form which can get from your municipality. The documentation that you’ll need for the building plan application form depends on the type of submission.

3) Copies of plans application form 

You’ll have to take the copies of the plan application form along with you when you go in person and make a request at your municipality. 

You’ll need to:   

  • attach your ID and your municipal rates account to the form, and
  • you’ll need to pay the prescribed fee. You can contact your municipality to find out what the fee is.

If you aren’t able to make the request in person and you send a representative to make the request on your behalf, then you’ll need to give your representative permission by writing a letter of consent. The person you send in your place must produce their ID when they submit copies of the plan application forms.

4) Demolition permit application form 

Before any demolition work can start, you’ll have to complete the demolition permit application form, which you can get either at your municipality or you can download the application from their website if your municipality has a website. You’re required to supply a waste management plan along with the application form and if the application you’re completing is for a company owned property then you’re required to have a resolution.

You’ll have to notify the building inspector of your intention to commence demolition 10 days before the intended date before demolition begins.

5) Engineers’ appointment form and certificate

If you appoint an engineer to undertake the design or segment of the building then you’ll need the following forms which are a part of SANS 10400-A:2010:

  • Form 2 is the appointment of an engineer or a competent person.

Form 4 is the completion certificate after Form 2.

Form 3 is only required when the appointed competent person appoints another person to design a particular element or part of the building. Generally, Form 3 isn’t required to be submitted although your municipality can ask that it be submitted in specific cases.

1) Notice of intention to commence building work

You’ll need to give the building inspector a notice of intention to commence building work at least 2 working days before the inspection.

2) Request for certificate of occupancy

Once all your building work has been completed you and the contractor or builder may apply for a certificate of occupancy which must be issued to you by your municipality, within 14 days of requesting the application, on condition that the work done was in compliance with the approved plans and that all the relevant certificates have been submitted. These certificates are the engineer’s completion certificate, the drainage certificate and the electrical compliance certificate.

If your request was denied then your municipality should supply you with reasons as to why your request was denied.     
Note: The building can only be used and occupied, when a certificate of occupancy has been issued.

3) Sectional title consent forms

You’ll have to apply with the sectional title consent form at your municipality if you’d like to provide separate ownership of part of your property.

4) Special events and temporary structures application form

You’ll need to go to your municipality with an application form special events, an engineer’s appointment form special events and an engineer’s completion certificate special events form if you want apply to erect a temporary structure.  Please note that your municipality doesn’t require any additional documentation other the appointment of an engineer, but it does require supporting documentation depending on the type of event. If you want to find out more you can contact your municipality.

5) Swimming pool indemnity form

You’ll need to fill out the swimming pool indemnity form if you want to find out if you’ll be able to install a swimming pool on your property.

You’ll also have to ensure that access to the swimming pool is controlled and if you fail to comply with the requirements of the sub-regulation, you’ll be found guilty of an offence.

Submit the swimming pool indemnity form along with the general application for a swimming pool at your municipality.

If you want to find out more information regarding building, you can contact your municipality to find out more.

Provided by:
Government Body:
The content on this page was last updated on 1 September 2022