Western Cape's Top Teachers Announced
On Friday, 8 November, the Western Cape Education Department announced the names of the top teachers in the province.
The awards recognise excellence in teaching and education leadership and provide an opportunity to showcase and celebrate excellence throughout the education system.
The department honoured 44 regional and provincial winners and has presented awards in ten categories.
The awards follow a rigorous selection process in all eight education districts of the province and regional finals involving clusters of districts.
About 32 000 teachers in the Western Cape were eligible for nomination. The names of the provincial winners will go forward to the national competition.
The awards recognised excellence in the following 10 categories:
- Excellence in Primary School Teaching
- Excellence in Secondary School Teaching
- Excellence in Grade R Teaching
- Excellence in Special Needs Teaching
- Excellence in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) – Enhanced Teaching
- Excellence in Primary School Leadership
- Excellence in Secondary School Leadership
- Lifetime Achievement Award (Minimum of 30 years without a break of service in a public school or centre in South Africa)
Two new awards have been introduced this year:
- Excellence in teaching Science
- Excellence in teaching Mathematics
The WCED awarded certificates of excellence to cluster winners, along with an ICT voucher to be redeemed at a reputable ICT provider. In addition to the prizes awarded, the schools of the finalists also received R 5 000 that must be used towards professional development of the whole teaching staff.
The provincial winners also received certificates of excellence, along with ICT vouchers to be redeemed at a reputable ICT provider, the value of the vouchers at provincial level:
- Winners – R 12 000
- Runners-up – R 7 000
In addition, winning schools will each receive R 7 500 that must be used for professional development for the whole staff.
List of the 2013 Finalists' Motivations.