50 Job opportunities already created at Melkhoutfontein housing development
1 October 2021
In less than two weeks since its launch, the Melkhoutfontein housing development in the Hessequa Municipal area has already ensured that 50 jobs are created for local residents.
This Melkhoutfonein Farm 480 -111 project which forms part of the Integrated Residential Development Programmes (IRDP), will consist of 590 serviced. It has a budget allocation of just over R136 million and is estimated to be completed by February 2023.
Currently the project entails the following of:
Phase 1 of the upgrading of the Bulk Sewer
- Construction of a 1 235m long 160mm diam rising main with air valves and other associated infrastructure
- Construction of a Sewage Pump station with Emergency storage and non-return valve chamber
- Complete mechanical and electrical installation of the sewage pump station
- Complete provision of power supply to the sewage pump station
Civil infrastructure for 589 Housing erven
- Construction of 4.78km of roads with a Cape seal
- Construction of 2600m of underground Stormwater drainage pipe
- Construction of 4 315m of Sewerage pipe, including erf connections
- Construction of 4 735m of water supply network, including erf connections
- Installation of 1 075m of electrical sleeves
- Construction of Housing platforms on erven
Minister Simmers said: “This shows how a multitude of opportunities are created through our developments. We’ve committed to empowering our residents and this is exactly what we’re doing now. It is critical to us that local residents are provided with these opportunities, so that they and their families are able to benefit in more ways than one.
We urge the community members particularly the youth and women and marginalized individuals to heed this window of opportunity and pursue the chance of creating a better future for themselves and community. As the Western Cape Government we remain committed to creating further job and empowerment opportunities.”