Museum Services: Overview
- Our Living Atlas
- Draft National Policy on Repatriation and Restitution of Human Remains and Heritage Objects
- Educational Programmes
- Cape Winelands and West Coast Museum Route
- Travelling Exhibitions
- Khoekhoe Geographical Names
- Oral History Initiative
- International Museum Day
- Western Cape Museum Policy
- Draft National Museum Policy
- Transformation of the Heritage Landscape: WC Consultative Meeting
- International Day for Monuments and Sites
- Cultural Affairs Awards
The Museum Service aims to promote respect for cultural diversity in South Africa and appreciation of our natural heritage. The Museum Service therefore sets out to build understanding and pride of our diverse heritage through the affiliated museums.
- To establish, upgrade and maintain museum infrastructure
- To facilitate access to museum facilities and programmes
- To achieve international standards in collections care and management
- To transform museum content and museum exhibitions
- To entrench quality education services for schools and provide opportunities for lifelong learning for all
- To ensure service excellence at museums in the major centres
There are 28 museums in the Western Cape. Each of these museums develops and promotes collections, exhibitions and programmes for educational purposes and the public interest.
Find and explore our museums
Use our Living Atlas to see all of our museums and find out more about each facility.