Your guide to use 50 litres of water per day
You can help push Day Zero back even further with small changes in your habits. Use this is a guide to help you get to 50 litres of water per person, per day.
How to use 50 litres or less water per person per day.
Shower = 10 litres
- Stop-start (with hair wash).
- No hair wash = 5 litres
- Sponge bath = 3 litres
Flushes = 9 litres
- One flush.
- Use greywater = 0 litres
- If it's yellow, let it mellow.
Brush teeth and wash hands = 2 litres
- Wash hands with waterless sanitiser = 0 litres
Cooking = 1 litre
- Food prep and cooking.
Drinking = 3 litres
- Water, tea or coffee
House cleaning = 5 litres
- Clean every 2nd day.
- Use waterless products = 0 litres
Laundry = 10 litres
- 1 machine load (70 litres ) per week = 10 litres per day
- 1 handwash in basin = 9 litres
Dish washing = 9 litres
- 1 sink wash a day or 1 economy load (29 litres)every 3 days = 9 litres per day
Pets = 1 litre
- Small to medium sized pets.