Western Cape Language Committee welcomes new members
On 25 July 2019, three new members were inducted into the ranks of the Western Cape Language Committee (WCLC.)
Mr Riaan Baartman, Ms Laurian Lesch, and Ms Genevieve Lentz were welcomed to the committee by Anroux Marais, Minister of Cultural Affairs and Sport, and officials from the Department’s Language Services unit.
The three new members will replace vacancies left by the resignation of Mr JW Koopman and Ms S Neethling and a committee post that was not filled at the beginning of term.
The new members will serve on the committee for the remainder of the three-year term, which started in November 2018.
WCLC members are tasked with monitoring the implementation of the Western Cape Government’s official Language Policy.
The Language Committee will help the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport to
• ensure the equal status of all three official languages of the province (Afrikaans, Xhosa and English)
• monitor the use of the three official languages by all provincial government departments of the Western Cape
• promote multilingualism
• actively promote the development of previously marginalised indigenous languages, such as the Khoi and San tongues
• create awareness of the needs of the hearing impaired and promote the use of South African Sign Language (SASL)
• advise the Minister on language matters
• advise the Pan South African Language Board on language matters affecting the Western Cape
DCAS works to ensure that the Western Cape’s official and indigenous languages are promoted BETTER TOGETHER