WC Government preparations for upcoming severe weather & festive season
Joint media release: Western Cape Government preparations for upcoming inclement weather and start of the festive season.
The Western Cape Government (WCG) has been warned of possible severe weather over the upcoming long weekend. “At a time when we are gearing up for the start of the festive season and are expecting heightened traffic volumes as people leave from and arrive in our province, we are putting additional standby resources in place to respond where needed. However, we appeal to all our road users to please exercise even greater caution when travelling,” said Premier Alan Winde.
“We are also concerned that with the heightened levels of load shedding and the possible severe weather the situation could be further exacerbated. I will be holding an extended cabinet meeting tomorrow to meet with municipalities across the province to assess plans and preparedness for this long weekend but also the festive season as a whole,” the Premier added.
“We are approaching the current severe weather in the province with the same approach as our Winter Preparedness Strategy,” said Anton Bredell, Western Cape Minister of Local Government, Environmental Affairs and Development Planning.
Bredell said mopping up operations are progressing well in all the affected municipalities following the severe weather earlier this week in the province. “I want to thank all non-government and volunteer organisations for their significant support and assistance, especially in vulnerable communities,” the Minister added.
Bredell said the focus now shifts to the next bout of severe weather expected to affect the province from Friday into the weekend. As part of our Winter Preparedness Plan, we have identified areas at risk of flooding, and together with local governments, ensure that contingency plans are in place. This includes making sure storm water drains are cleared, low water river crossings are monitored, and facilities for vulnerable people are prepared and secured.” Provincial Disaster Management has also put aerial and ground-support resources on standby should they be needed.
Premier Winde added, “I have full confidence in our disaster management teams across the province. But I implore communities in affected regions to take the necessary precautions as this inclement weather arrives. I urge residents not to take unnecessary risks and for road users to behave responsibly. Should it be required that our provincial traffic redirect traffic to alternative routes we appeal to all road users to exercise extreme caution and cooperate with our law enforcement officers”.
The provincial government will be monitoring the situation over the long weekend and will respond as required.