St George's Anglican Cathedral and the Memory of Nelson Mandela
Sunday 15 December is the day that Madiba’s mortal remains will be laid in Qunu.
The Cathedral service begins at 9:30am. All are welcome.
The bell-ringers will pay their respects to Madiba by ringing 95 hand and 95 backstroke "dongs" before the 09:30 service, with the bells half muffled.
The programme includes:
- Minister Trevor Manuel will share his insights on Madiba
- a poem dedicated to Madiba by the poet Khadija Tracy Heeger;
- The University of Stellenbosch-based academic, Ncebakazi Mnukwana will play the Kora bow. Her piece would be prefaced by an explanation of the link between the Nguni people and San;
- The psalm of the day will be Stephen Carletti’s “Ek slaan my oe op na die berge”;
- Daniel Speckman will sing ‘In the Presence of the Lord’;
- The Parish of St Cyprian's, Retreat will provide the trumpeters. They will preface the Last Post with the hymn Lead Kindly Light.