Annual Report 2016/17 - DSD receives fourth clean audit in a row
Today, the Western Cape Minister of Social Development, Adv. Albert Fritz, tabled the department’s annual report for the 2016/17 financial year.
The report is a reflection of how the Department used its R 1.93 billion budget in 2016/17 to bring improved quality social services to the more than 6.2 million people of the province, especially children, people with disabilities, and older persons.
During the 2016/17 financial year, the Department spent 99.8% of its budget, and once again obtained a clean audit, for the fourth year in a row.
Our audit results should be read in the context of ever increasing tough economic times, and concerning fiscal constraints. We truly are being driven to do more with less.
In spite of the tough financial situation, the Department has notched up significant and notable successes during the financial year;
- Transfer of over R1-billion to over 2000 NGOs working with the Department,
- Doubling the number of social workers in the last 5 years,
- Launched the sixth Youth Café in Oudtshoorn,
- Expanded substance abuse services to 36 NGOs operating at 51 sites,
- Developed an Inspectorate to deal with human rights issues at residential facilities for older persons,
- Implemented community-based interventions to older persons, including independent and assisted living facilities, outreach via the service centres and residential care facilities.
Spokesperson for Albert Fritz, Minister of Social Development
Western Cape Government
7th floor, 14 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town, 8000
Tel : (021) 483 9217
Cell : 076 083 6543
Email : Sihle.Ngobese@westerncape.gov.za