Social Development Month: DSD services doubled since 2009
As we mark Social Development Month in October, the Western Cape Department of Social Development (DSD) is proud to have doubled our provincial footprint.
DSD has grown from what was 1 head office and 16 district offices in 2009, to 1 head office overseeing 6 regional offices and a network of 40 local offices.
Our commitment to bringing services closer to communities has meant residents have better access to key services for children, youth, people living with disabilities, substance abusers, victims of violence, and older persons.
The Western Cape Minister of Social Development, Adv. Albert Fritz, has driven key recent developments and successes in this regard include;
- The recent launch of two new local offices in Grassy Park and Fish Hoek.
- Registered 1657 (an increase from 1526) ECD centres which serve 117 000 children, with a further 18 000 children benefiting from non-centre based ECD programmes
- The launch of the innovative First 1000 days campaign.
- Three more Youth Cafés were launched in Oudtshoorn, Vrygrond and Nyanga Junction, bringing the total to six.
- DSD funding to NGOs continues to grow, having breached the R1-billion mark, and totals R1 053 447 000.
- Increased the number of substance abuse focused NGO partners from 7 in 2009 to 36 working at 51 sites across the province.
- The site of Khuseleka One-Stop Centre, which provides holistic and multi-stakeholder support to victims of domestic abuse and violence, recently expanded with a new residential wing and drug treatment programme.
- The DSD Inspectorate is in the final stages of set-up and will oversee and investigate abuse claims at all facilities, especially Old Age Homes.
The public can access our services and dedicated team of social workers by visiting any of our regional or local offices closest to them, or by contacting the DSD hotline on 0800 220 250.
Spokesperson for Albert Fritz, Minister of Social Development
Western Cape Government
7th floor, 14 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town, 8000
Tel : (021) 483 9217
Cell : 076 083 6543
Email : Sihle.Ngobese@westerncape.gov.za