Minister Winde: REBID Announcement to Yield Growth and Jobs for the Western Cape
Media Statement by Alan Winde, Minister of Finance, Economic Development and Tourism
I welcome the announcement by the Department of Energy that the following companies with projects in the Western Cape have successfully qualified for the National Government's first round of the REBID process:
- Inspired Evolution.
- Franco Afrique Technologies.
- Darling Trust Malmesbury CPV Power Plant No. 1 Pty Ltd - a subsidiary of Concentrix Solar.
- Touwsrivier Mainstream Renewable Power- a consortium of ABSA Capital, Siemens Energy, Thebe Investment Corporation Droogfontein Renewable Energy Investments of South Africa Pty Ltd.
Project location: Western Cape.
- Biotherm Energy Pty Ltd.
- Ikamva Energy Klipheuwel Umoya Energy.
- Old Mutual Investment Group (AIIM).
- MacQuarie Hopefield South African Renewable Green Energy (SARGE) Pty Ltd.
Project location: Karoo.
The Western Cape Government is supportive of this announcement as we believe that green projects play a vital role in creating economic growth and jobs for the region. We will be interacting with these companies to ensure that we deliver a capable and appropriately skilled workforce so that their projects can be realised, and cut red tape if it hampers implementation.
We have set ourselves the goal of moving towards 15% renewable energy by 2014, and this announcement is a significant step toward us achieving this.