Department of the Premier: About Us
- Vision and values
- Departmental Strategic Plan
- Departmental branches
- Departmental organogram
The Department of the Premier plays a leading role in envisioning and implementing the strategic path of the Western Cape Government, while working to ensure accessible, quality and people-centric services across the province.
Role and mandate of the Department:
• Enable – equip VIPs and departments to deliver, including governance towards service delivery for maximum citizen impact.
• Guide – foster learning, innovation, culture change, collaboration, adaptation, integration of service delivery and citizen-centricity.
• Direct – drive the implementation, monitoring and review of the Provincial Strategic Plan and ensuring accountability through leadership structures.
The Department of the Premier is established in terms of the Public Service Act, 1994, which, read with the Constitution and the Western Cape Constitution, enables the Premier to lead the WCG in the delivery of services to citizens.
Section 7 of the Public Service Act confers certain powers and duties upon the Director-General of the provincial administration, including:
- Secretary to Cabinet;
- intergovernmental relations on an administrative level;
- intragovernmental cooperation, including the coordination of departments’ actions and legislation; and
- providing strategic direction on transversal policy matters.
The Western Cape Government has identified five Vision-Inspired Priorities (VIPs) to deliver on its vision of a "safe Western Cape where everyone prospers", and to help realise the objectives of the National Development Plan over its five-year term. The Department of the Premier has a direct responsibility for the implementation of VIP 5: Innovation and Culture. Our key delivery partners in VIP 5 are the Provincial Treasury, the Department of Local Government and the Department of Environmental Affairs and Development Planning.
The five focus areas of VIP 5 are:
• Citizen-centric culture
• Innovation for impact
• Integrated service delivery
• Governance transformation
• Talent and staff development
To read the Provincial Strategic Plan 2019/2024, click here.
To read the Departmental Strategic Plan 2020/2025, click here.
Contact us for more information.