GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES: Call For Audit Of All Offensive Names In The Western Cape
The Minister of Cultural Affairs and Sport, Anroux Marais, calls for an audit of all offensive names in the Western Cape. The audit aims to identify all offensive names as part of the ongoing process to develop a common national identity, social cohesion and inclusivity within the province.
Proposed name changes of the identified names will be processed in accordance with the Western Cape policy for the Naming and Renaming of Geographical Features of 2015 and the South African Geographical Names Council Act of 1998.
How do I participate in the audit?
- Familiarise yourself with the purpose, definition and process of the audit.
- Complete and submit the audit online or
- Download and complete the prescribed audit form in Afrikaans, English or Xhosa and submit as follows:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ; or
Post: Geographical Names Services
Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport,
Private Bag X9067,
Cape Town, 8000.
The due date for submissions was 31 March 2018.
Please see below more current information about the audit:
- Western Cape policy for the Naming and Renaming of Geographical Features 2015
- South African Geographical Names Council Act of 1998
- Workflow process of audit
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WesternCapeGovernment/
- Twitter: @WCGovCas
- Ministerial Media Release