Department of Agriculture: About Us
The Western Cape Department of Agriculture provides a wide range of development, research and support services to the agricultural community in the Western Cape.
The department's administrative headquarters is situated on the historic farm of Elsenburg in the picturesque Boland region. We also accommodate new and commercial farmers at research farms, Further Education and Training Centres, extension offices, state veterinary offices and animal health technicians situated throughout the province.
About 45% of South Africa's agricultural exports move through the province and the value added in the sector amounts to more than R14 billion per annum.
The agricultural sector not only stimulates economic growth in the province, it also plays a major role in creating sustainable job opportunities.
The department's service area covers approximately 13 million hectares, of which 2 million hectares are under cultivation and 320 000 hectares are under irrigation.
The Western Cape Department of Agriculture has a direct or indirect influence on the production of wine, deciduous fruit, citrus, grain, fynbos, vegetables, ostriches, small and large stock, as well as milk and dairy products.
The Western Cape has a Mediterranean climate with an average rainfall, which ranges from well over 1 000 mm per annum in some mountainous areas in the south and eastern regions, to less than 150 mm over parts of the Karoo and the north-west regions. This great variation in rainfall and soil types contributes to the wide variety of crops grown in the province.
The Western Cape Department of Agriculture delivers the following broad range of programmes and services:
- Technology, Research and Development for the animal and crop producers in the Western Cape.
- Agricultural advice and guidance to the agricultural community and all users of natural resources.
- Agricultural infrastructure to qualifying farmers.
- Agricultural training, higher education as well as Further Education and Training.
- Sustainable Resource Management.
- Analytical services at our plant pathology and water and soil laboratories.
- Diagnostic and analytical services at our veterinary laboratories.
- Veterinary Services.
- Rural Development.
These services are delivered through seven programmes.
Department of Agriculture website: www.elsenburg.com
Please visit www.elsenburg.com/contact-us for more information.