Department of Communications (National): Overview
The aim of the Department of Communications is to formulate policy and ensure its implementation for the telecommunications, postal and broadcasting services. It also controls transfers to:
- the South African Post Office
- the South African Broadcasting Corporation
- the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa
- the National Electronic Media Institute of South Africa
- the Universal Service Agency.
The Department aims to:
- Improve the quality of life of all South Africans
- Make South Africa a knowledge-based society
- Help create an information economy.
This will be achieved by establishing a networked information community to empower people in the way they work, live and play and by making South Africa globally competitive.
The content on this page was last updated on 20 August 2013