Disability grants | Western Cape Government

Disability grants


If you’re permanently unable to work, or if you’re temporarily unable to work for longer than 6 months due to a physical or mental disability, you’re eligible to apply for a South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) disability grant.


Disability grant

You can apply for a South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) disability grant if you have a physical or mental disability which makes you unfit to work and unable to support yourself. If approved, you’ll get a pre-determined amount of money during your disability period.

You can get a disability grant if you meet the legal requirements and  a medical assessment confirms that you cannot work because of your condition or disability. The medical assessment will determine if you receive a temporary or permanent grant. The assessment will also indicate if you will need a future medical review.

SASSA makes the final decision on awarding the grant, not the medical practitioner.

The maximum amount that the disability grant can pay is R1 990.

How to apply

To qualify for a disability grant, you’ll need to:

  • be a South African citizen, permanent resident, or refugee living in South Africa at the time of application,
  • be between 18 and 59 years old,
  • not be cared for in a state institution,
  • have a valid South African identity document (ID),
  • undergo a medical examination where a doctor appointed by the state will assess the degree of your disability,
  • bring along any previous medical records and reports when you make the application and have the assessment,
  • not earn more than R86 280 if you are single or R172 560 if married,
  • not have assets worth more than R1 227 600 if you are single or R2 455 200 if you are married,
  • meet the requirements of the means test, and
  • not be a recipient of another grant.

You can apply for a disability grant at your nearest SASSA office. If you’re too old or sick to travel to an office near you, a family member or friend can apply on your behalf.

You’ll be required to present the following documents when applying for a disability grant:

  • Your 13-digit bar-coded identity document (ID). If you don't have an ID:
    • You must complete an affidavit on a standard SASSA format in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths who's not a SASSA official.
    • You must bring a sworn statement signed by a reputable person who can verify your name and age.
    • The SASSA official will take your fingerprints.
    • You'll be referred to the Department of Home Affairs to apply for the ID while your application is processed. If you don’t get an ID, your grant will be suspended.
  • A medical report and functional assessment report, by a medical practitioner recognised by SASSA, confirming your disability. Your medical assessment must not be older than 3 months at the date of application.
  • Proof of marital status (if applicable).
  • Proof of residence.
  • Proof of income or dividends (if any).
  • Proof of assets, including the municipal value of your property.
  • Proof of private pension (if any).
  • Your bank statements for the past three months.
  • Refugee status permit and 13-digit refugee ID.
  • Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) document ('blue book') or discharge certificate from your previous employer if you were employed.
  • A copy of the will and the first and final liquidation and distribution accounts if your spouse died within the last five years.

Your application form will be completed in the presence of an officer from SASSA. When your application is completed, you’ll be given a receipt as proof of your application (make sure you keep your receipt in a safe place).

There’s no cost involved in applying for a disability grant.

What if your application isn’t approved?

  • If SASSA does not approve your application  you will be given valid reasons why the application has been declined in writing.
  • You have the right to ask SASSA to reconsider your application if you’re unhappy with their decision. You can also appeal to the Minister of Social Development in writing, explaining why you disagree.
  • This appeal must be lodged within 90 days of you being informed of the outcome of your initial application.

How will you be paid?

When you apply, you should say how you would like the money to be paid. A grant will be paid to you through one of the following methods:

  • Cash at a specific pay point on a particular day. 
  • Electronic deposit into your bank account, including Postbank (the bank may charge you for the service). 
  • An institution not funded by the state – for example, a home for people with disabilities.

You can decide to change the payment method at any time by filling in a form at a SASSA office, but the change will only happen a month later.

Grant reviews

A review is carried out to check that your circumstances haven’t changed since you applied for the grant or were last reviewed.

SASSA must notify you in writing at least 3 months before the date of your review indicating where and when your review will take place and what might happen because of it. If you’re bedridden, home visits can be arranged to accommodate you.

Once the review has been completed, make sure that you receive a receipt of compliance from the SASSA official.

The following may result in the suspension of a grant:

  • When your circumstances change,
  • pending the outcome of a review,
  • if you fail to cooperate when your grant is reviewed,
  • when you commit fraud or misrepresent yourself, and   
  • if there was a mistake when your grant was approved.

Remember that it's your responsibility to inform the department of any changes in your circumstances and means. Including changes in either your physical or postal addresses and/or banking details. Failure to do so may result in the suspension of your grant.

The disability grant will be cancelled:

  • if you die,
  • if you’re admitted to a state institution,
  • do not claim for three consecutive months
  • are absent from the country.

Remember that it's your responsibility to inform the department of any changes in your circumstances and means. Including changes in either your physical or postal addresses and/or banking details. Failure to do so may result in the suspension of your grant.

How much does it cost

The service is free.

General enquiries can be directed to SASSA Western Cape Regional office:

Tel: 021 469 0235
Fax: 021 469 0260

Email: grantsenquiriesWC@sassa.gov.za

You can also visit your nearest SASSA office or call SASSA’s toll-free helpline on 0800 601 011 for more information on:

  • pay-out dates,
  • qualifying rules for all government grants,
  • district office addresses and contact numbers,
  • for help with what has happened to your application, or
  • how you can also report any fraud or corruption.
Provided by:
Government Body: (The Government of South Africa)
The content on this page was last updated on 3 November 2022