Social Relief of Distress Grant | Western Cape Government

Social Relief of Distress Grant



Social Relief of Distress is a temporary grant of assistance intended for someone in desperate need that they're unable to provide their or their families' most basic needs.

In order to qualify for Social Relief of Distress, you must comply with one or more of the following conditions:

  •  Awaiting permanent aid.
  • Has been found medically unfit to undertake remunerative work for a period of less than 6 months.
  • The breadwinner is deceased and insufficient means are available.
  • Has been affected by a disaster and the specific area has not yet been declared a disaster area, and the applicant has appealed against the suspension of his or her grant.
  • Not a member of a household that's already receiving social assistance.
  • Not receiving assistance from any other organisation.

Period of Social Relief of Distress (New Policy)

Social Relief of Distress is issued monthly or for any other period for a maximum period of 3 months. Extension of the period by a further 3 months may be granted in special cases.

You can apply for the Social Relief of Distress by filling in an application form at your nearest regional offices. You don't need to pay anything to make the application.

General Enquiries:

Western Cape regional office: 021 469 0200
Toll-free helpline: 0800 601 011 for information on:

  • Pay-out dates.
  • Qualifying rules for all government grants.
  • District office addresses and contact numbers.
  • For help with what has happened to your application.
  • How you can also report any fraud or corruption.


Provided by:
Government Body: (Western Cape Government)
The content on this page was last updated on 19 December 2018