Admissions to Schools | Western Cape Government

Admissions to Schools

Learners usually start Grade 1 at the start of the year in which they turn seven. Children may enter Grade 1 a year earlier if the WCED's assessment shows them to be ready for school.

Some schools offer Grade R/0 to help children prepare for Grade 1. Children are usually allowed to start Grade R in the year they turn six.

When you apply at a school to have your child enrolled, you need to have:

  • Your child's official birth certificate.
  • Proof that your child has been immunised.

Non-South African citizens also need to have:

  • A study permit.
  • A temporary or permanent residence permit or proof that you have applied for permission to stay in South Africa.

No school may unfairly discriminate against a child. Thus no public school may require children to write an admissions test or prevent a child from coming to the school because the parents have not paid or cannot pay the school fees.

Submit your application as early as possible the year before your child will be starting at his or her new school.

Submit your application not only to the school of your choice but also to several "second-choice" schools.

You can search for schools in your area using the "Find-a-School" Search Facility.

Provided by:
Government Body: (Western Cape Education Department, Western Cape Government)
The content on this page was last updated on 28 August 2013