Six schools have won R25 000 each in the ‘Letter to my library’ competition!
We are pleased to announce the winners of our 2022 school library competition: “Letter to my Library”!
The competition was held in celebration of International School Library Month (ISLM), which takes place during October each year, in partnership with the Western Cape Education Department’s Education Library and Information Services (EDULIS).
The 2022 competition took the form of a letter-writing competition, and learners were invited to write a letter to their library answering the following questions:
- Why is a school library so important to you?
- What can you use it for?
- What are your favourite books to read in a library?
- How would R25 000 for library resources help your school?
We received 429 entries, and are delighted to announce that the following learners have each won their schools R25 000 to spend on library resources:
- Primary: Wilmi Van Eeden – Courtrai Primary School (Grade 6)
Paarl, Cape Winelands Education District
- Secondary: Keira Liebenberg – De Rust Futura Akademie (Grade 8)
Grabouw, Overberg Education District
- Primary: Madeegha Essop – West End Primary School (Grade 4)
Mitchell’s Plain, Metro South Education District
- Secondary: Katie Eboza – Eersterivier Secondary School (Grade 10)
Eersterivier, Metro East Education District
- Primary: Sisonke Dalasile – Umnqophiso Primary School (Grade 6)
Lwandle, Metro East Education District
- Secondary: Siphokuhle Mvumbi – Hoërskool Louwville (Grade 11)
Vredenburg, West Coast Education District
(Note: Learner grades are for the 2022 academic year.)
We thank all the learners who took the time to write letters, and especially to the teachers who encouraged their classes to participate and collated the entries for us.
We look forward to seeing how these schools will use the new library resources to improve their learners’ reading skills and to share the joy of reading with our children.
Additional details about the competition released when launched can be found here: https://www.westerncape.gov.za/gc-news/408/58933