Road Construction on R101 and R304 for Next Two Years
The Western Cape Department of Transport and Public Works has started with rehabilitation of the R101 and R304 between Old Paarl Road and Bloekombos.
The estimated contract value is R59 million and the project is scheduled for completion in late 2016. Over 2 300 vehicles travel daily on the R101 and R304.
The project will include the following:
- Cleaning and shaping of existing drains.
- Excavation and concrete lining of side drains.
- Re-construction of a pedestrian sidewalks and property entrances.
- Installation of new concrete kerbs and channels.
- New pipe and portal culverts.
- Construction of a passing lane and taper on R304.
General Traffic Accommodation
There will be half-width construction with Stop/Go operations during the day and a traffic light system at night.
Motorists could expect delays during the winter season.
Economic Impact and Job Creation
A significant amount of employment opportunities, quantified as 19 000 person days, will be created for people located within the boundaries of Kraaifontein. Thirteen percent (13%) of the contract value is expected to go towards targeted enterprises in the Western Cape.