Overberg shows off sporting superstars
Local sportsmen and women were celebrated for their outstanding achievements at the annual Overberg Sport Awards on Saturday, 27 July. The awards took place at Chris-Elle in Buffelsjagsrivier, and were hosted by the Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport (DCAS) and the Overberg Sport Council.
Overberg Municipality Deputy Executive Mayor, Archibald Klaas, welcomed guests from around the Overberg region, and expressed his pride in all their achievements. He also thanked DCAS for their support in developing sport and athletes in the region.
JP Naude, President of the Western Cape Provincial Sport Confederation, delivered a message of support to all the athletes from the confederation and encouraged them always strive to be the best. “You must enjoy and remember the feeling of pride you have tonight. When you feel like something you want to achieve is out of reach, then remember this feeling. It will motivate you to move forward” he said.
Chief Director for Sport and Recreation, Dr Lyndon Bouah, commended the leadership of the sport council for their commitment and passion for growing sport in the region: “We are very pleased to see the tremendous growth of federations and sport within this region.” Dr Bouah also spoke of DCAS partnering with Social Development and Community Safety in the future. “We will support Social Development and Community Safety programmes by identifying areas for sport and recreation development. This gives us an opportunity to create alternatives for youth in the Western Cape” he said.
Winners of the evening were:
- Sport Administrator of the year 2019 - Kobie Phillips– Tug of War
- Coach of the year - Anton Gerber– Tug of War
- Newcomer of the year - Eliska Pienaar – Tug of War
- Volunteer of the year - Renaldo Claassen – Lawn Bowls
- Sport community builder of the year - Willem Marais - Jukskei
- School team of the year - U/19 Ladies Swellendam High School
- School sportwoman of the year - Eliska Pienaar – Tug of war
- School sportman of the year - Devine Januarie - Kickboxing
- Junior Sportwoman of the year - Mignon van Zyl - Karate
- Junior Sportman of the year - Ethan Barker – Tug of war
- Team of the year - U/23 Men’s team - Tug of war - Swellendam
- Federation of the year - Overberg sailing
- Sportwoman of the year - Anneke Snyman – Lawn bowls
- Sportman of the year - Ruehan van Romburgh - Kickboxing
The Eden Sport Awards will be held on 22 August in George. Regional award winners will be nominees in the Provincial Sport Awards which will take place on 14 September 2019 at Mutual Park in Pinelands.
DCAS and its partners will continue to support athletes in their goals, giving them the necessary support to continue growing in all their sporting endeavours in the Western Cape BETTER TOGETHER.