Department Hosts the Western Cape Sport Legends 2011
The Western Cape Department of Cultural Affairs and Sport is proud to host the Western Cape Sport Legends 2011 on 15 December 2011 in Cape Town at Kirstenbosch Gardens. This year, the minister will honour individuals from Badminton, Rugby, Sailing, Canoe, Dance Sport (Fedensa) and Netball. This is the seventh year that the department acknowledges and recognises icons and people who have given a lifetime of service to sport in the Western Cape.
The criteria for the recognition are as follows:
- People who made a significant contribution to sport.
- People who are regarded as icons in their communities.
- People who gracefully gave sport their all.
- People who played a role in shaping sport before 1992.
- Representivity along the lines of gender, demography and geography.
- A lifetime of service to the code in general.
- Nominee must be at the age of 50 and more.
- Preferably, the nominee should be in retirement except in outstanding cases where the qualifications of the candidate speak for themselves.
In light of the above, we hereby request your assistance in identifying sport legends who meet the above mentioned criteria in your code. The attached nomination forms is also available on the departmental website: www.westerncape.gov.za/dcas.
Nominations must be submitted to the department by no later than 16:00 on 10 November 2011.
Please help us celebrate our sport history by submitting your proposals timeously to:
NB: Please note that the nominee will only be confirmed after approval by the selection committee.