The Competition Act 89 of 1998
The purpose of this Act
is to promote and maintain competition in the Republic by:
- The promotion of the efficiency, adaptability and development of the economy.
- Providing consumers with competitive prices and product choices.
- The promotion of employment and the advancement of the social and economic welfare of South Africans.
- The expansion of opportunities for South African participation in world markets and recognizing the role of foreign competition in the Republic.
- Ensuring that small and medium-sized enterprises have an equitable opportunity to participate in the economy.
- The promotion of a greater spread of ownership, in particular to increase the ownership stakes of historically disadvantaged persons.