Western Cape Government Internet Competition
The Western Cape Government is rolling out Public WiFi Zones to various communities to improve Internet access throughout the province. We would like you to participate in this exciting initiative by using these Public WiFi Zones to the fullest, and entering our competition.
How has using the internet changed your life? Has using the internet prompted you to be more innovative or improved your life? Then why not enter our Internet Competition?
There are two categories.
CATEGORY 1: INNOVATION
Prize Money: R10 000 (one winner per round)
Tell us about your innovative idea that involves the Internet
- Contestants are to create a sample in the form of a picture, sketch, or a prototype.
- The sample must be accompanied by a full description of between 500 and 800 words of the device/ application/ innovative idea and its functionality.
- The innovation should demonstrate how it will/has contributed and/or led to the socio-economic upliftment of your community.
- Contestants should include a baseline costing model (if any), to manufacture the device/ innovative idea.
- Entries can be individual or group submission.
- It must be an original idea.
CATEGORY 2: YOUR STORY
Prize Money: R2 000 (two winners per round)
Tell us an inspiration story about how using the Internet improved your life or business
- Tell your story in no more than 400 words.
- Contestants must include a description of their lives before and after the Internet, and what caused the change.
The competition will run until December 2015 over five rounds. The final round closes on 4 December 2015.
|Round||Entries open||Entries close|
|1||15 May 2015||12 June 2015|
|2||1 July 2015||24 July 2015|
|3||3 August 2015||4 September 2015|
|4||2 October 2015||30 October 2015|
|5||2 November 2015||4 December 2015|
HOW TO ENTER
- Click here to download the entry form
- Participants can enter via e-mail or post.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Post: 9th Floor, Waldorf Building, Cape Town, 8000
COMPETITION GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- By entering this competition, contestants agree to be bound by these terms and conditions.
- Entries close at midnight on the closing dates.
- This competition is open to participants in the Western Cape only.
- Entries must contain the contestants’ name, age, home address, email address, and telephone number.
- One prize of R10 000 per round will be awarded in the innovative idea category.
- Two prizes of R2 000 each per round will be awarded in the inspiration category.
- Winners may be required to submit valid Identification before receiving their prize.
- Employees of the Western Cape Government and their family members are not allowed to enter this competition.
- Non-Profit Organisation staff, Municipalities, the Broadband Programme Office, and partners who have been involved in the Public WiFi Deployments, and their immediate family members, are not allowed to enter the competition.
- Only one entry from each contestant will be accepted per category for the duration of this competition.
- Each contestant can only win one prize for the duration of the competition.
- Entries can be submitted in English, Afrikaans and Xhosa.
- Entries must not contain anything defamatory, obscene, illegal or otherwise inappropriate as may be deemed by the judging panel.
- All valid entries received on or before the closing date/s will be reviewed by a panel of judges who will use pre-determined judging criteria.
- The Western Cape Government has publishing rights on all entries submitted.
- Late, illegible, incomplete or defaced entries will not be accepted.
- If the prize is not claimed within 2 weeks of the winner being notified, the Department of Economic Development and Tourism reserves the right to award the prize to an alternative winner.
- All applicants will need to include a declaration of originality and prize money will need to be reclaimed if found in contravention thereof.