State of the Province Address 2019 by Premier Alan Winde
On Thursday 18 July at 11am, Premier Alan Winde delivered his maiden State of the Province Address, as the newly elected premier of the Western Cape, at the Western Cape Provincial Parliament.
During the State of the Province Address, the Premier outlined the Western Cape Government's main focus areas over the next year which broadly includes:
- Provincial economy
- Empowering people
- Transport and Spatial Transformation
- Innovation and Culture Change
What is the State of the Province Address (SOPA)?
- The State of the Province Address is a speech made by the Premier or provincial head.
- The event usually marks the official opening of the Provincial Parliament.
- The speech is delivered in front of members of the provincial executive, including the Speaker, Deputy Speaker and the Secretary.
Ordinary sittings of the provincial parliament are open to the general public, but due to limited space, only invited guests and members of the provincial parliament attend this event.
Watch the highlights of Premier Winde's speech