Assistive Devices | Western Cape Government

Assistive Devices


Assistive DevicesThe assistive devices service aims to assess, prescribe and maintain assistive devices such as wheelchairs, mobility aids, devices for daily living and hearing aids for people who need them.

These devices are provided once you have been assessed by the appropriate rehabilitation professional and a device prescribed. The core rehabilitation team who works with assistive devices are:

  • audiologists (hearing aids),
  • occupational therapists (wheelchairs and/or devices for daily living),
  • physiotherapists (wheelchairs and/or mobility aids),
  • speech therapists (communication aids), and
  • orthotists and prosthetists (built-up shoes, orthopedic inner soles, ankle foot orthoses, custom-made devices etc.).

There are various health facilities in the province where assistive devices can be accessed (prescribed, maintained and repaired). These range from primary healthcare facilities to tertiary-level hospitals and specialised facilities.

If you need an assistive device, go to your nearest primary healthcare facility where you will either be assisted at the facility or be referred to the most appropriate rehabilitation professional for an assessment based on the device that is needed. It is important that you receive the correct device that has been programmed or adjusted according to your specific needs.


To get an assistive device, go to your nearest primary healthcare facility, which will either assist you or refer you to another facility for an assessment and prescription for the correct assistive device.

Not all devices or rehabilitation staff are available at all health facilities so you may be referred when needed. First-time visitors to the clinic or secondary or tertiary hospital will be asked to fill out a form and a folder will be opened.

Remember: Bring your ID book, or in the case of a child, the Road to Health Booklet.  

Provided At: These facility categories:
Provided by:
Government Body: (Western Cape Government)
The content on this page was last updated on 6 June 2023